World traveler and tireless technology news hound, Robert Scoble reports from Nokia Day in Barcelona, Spain that the new Nokia 97 might be a potential rival to the iPhone. At least the N97 rises to the bar that Apple raised for smart phones. Robert reports that the N97 beats the iPhone with:
- 16:9 video (iPhone doesn't do video at all)
- 5 megapixel camera to iPhone's 2 megapixels
- QWERTY keyboard as well as touchpad gesture-savvy screen
- Copy and paste (Apple!!??)
- Replaceable battery
- Turn-by-turn GPS
- With Apple just announcing that there are now more than 10,000 iPhone apps will Nokia and Symbian developers match the quantity and quality of apps? As they say, "software sells hardware." The N97 is due out in 2009.